I suggest we ...

Display inferred types above declaration

This could be the data already in the tool tip but shown with a similar look to CodeLens in C#/VS

Would be nice to see what the compiler thinks my type is when working without hovering the mouse over/

196 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tony Williams shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vince Panuccio commented  · 

That's a great Idea. I find it really annoying not know what the types are around the code I'm looking at. Constantly hovering my mouse over just to know.

• exercitus vir commented  · 

I'd love to see this in only for the function that the cursor is in.

• Ruben Bartelink commented  · 

Ditto @sforkmann's comment - if there were downvotes, I'd use one (wrt having any vertical expansion of the code. Turning CodeLens off is step 1 on any VS installatio for me)

• Tony Williams commented  · 

@Anh if VS don't expose that api is it possible to create something similar? I'd also assume that the CodeLens api is restricted to ultimate as well meaning this feature wouldn't be available to all :(

• Anh-Dung Phan commented  · 

AFAIK the CodeLens API hasn't been published yet by VS team. We have to wait for a while until being able to evaluate this.

• Basil Kirichenko commented  · 

@Tony Williams Could you share a screenshot of how it looks in C# editor?

• Tony Williams commented  · 

I'd assume it would be something that can be switched off?

• Anonymous commented  · 

oh no. please do not add such hidden lines. CodeLens is unusable for me because of this stuff.

Feedback and Knowledge Base